In 1868 a terminal location for the Denver and Rio Grande Railroad was established in what would become Alamosa, Colorado. The town was incorporated in 1878 and on July 4, 1878 the first train brought the new town to its present location. Several buildings including the Hotel in Ft. Garland, Colorado, which is 25 miles east of Alamosa were loaded on flat cars and transported to Alamosa. It is said, that breakfast was served in Ft. Garland, and dinner in Alamosa in the same building.
Adams State College was established in 1925 as Colorado’s third teacher training institution and continues today as one of Colorado’s best institutions.
Records indicate that John Brown began undertaking in 1890 and continued until 1927 having formed a partnership with George Lorton in downtown Alamosa. In 1926 Lorton and Brown moved to the present location at 205 State Ave. They purchased the Gertesen mansion and added on to make into a funeral home.
George Lorton continued ownership with other partners John Allardice and Glen Miracle. Mr. Lorton served in the Colorado Legislature and as president of Colorado Funeral Directors in 1943. He bought out his other partners and continued the operation until selling to Frank L. Humphrey in 1948.
Mr. Humphrey sold the business to Kenneth P. Butler and W. Edward Sharp in 1951. They had a location in Monte Vista, Colorado also.
In 1951 Mr. Butler bought out the Alamosa location and merged with Robert Showalter whom owned the Park Lawn Funeral Home. They merged into the present location selling the Park Lawn location. In 1953, Butler-Showalter purchased the Adams Mortuary (The former Haynie Mortuary)
In 1957, Mr. Showalter left the firm and was bought out by Mr. Butler. It continued to operate as Butler Showalter Chapel.
In 1982, J.Michael Rogers purchased the Butler Showwalter Chapel in Alamosa and Manassa and retained the trade name until 1997 when the firm incorporated under the name of Rogers Family Mortuary. The Rogers’ eldest son Kevin began working at the firm while in high school and after earning a Bachelors of Mortuary Science from Cincinnati College of Mortuary Science joined the firm as a Funeral Director in 1999. In 2009 he purchased the funeral home from his father Mike and is currently involved in the daily aspects of the funeral home.
In August of 2000 we added on to the Alamosa location to accommodate a crematorium to better serve our families. This addition also included a new Casket selection room. We also remodeled and renovated the Manassa location.
In April of 2002, we opened a third location in Monte Vista, Colorado. This came after purchasing an old medical clinic, remodeling and adding on to make a 7000 square foot full service facility.
With our three locations, we are able to serve the needs of families in our six county region.
Picture: Funeral Home in Alamosa, Colorado taken from the corner of Second and State Avenue.